Saturday, August 21, 2010

mmmmmm...homemade salsa



Years ago when we had our gardens in Edmonds, we had a huge crop of tomatoes. I made this salsa every summer. I canned it to have during the rainy months but it never lasted very long. Too yummy.

Fastforward to current day. Every Friday I visit the mini farmers market. A couple weeks ago, I wanted salsa...so I picked up a bunch of tomatoes, cilantro, onions and the rest. And lots of limes. I thought we might have margaritas that night.  So I dug out my old recipe. Changed it up a little bit. Added a couple more limes, did without the scallions, cuz I forgot to buy them.
Success! My friend, Paula, couldn't get over the fact that I made it. Silly girl. She should know by now, I can cook!

I needed another fix. So I made it again yesterday. Now all I need to do is call for some of those great Chicano's tortilla chips. Even better, if I walked to the restaurant and bought them.

Maria's Salsa

15 med tomatoes, quartered (ok to use more)
1 med onion, chopped (ok to use more)
1 bunch of scallions/green onions (sliced)
Jalapeno peppers...(you decide how how you need it)
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced (ok to use more)
1/2 Cup vinegar
Juice of 1 lime (ok to use 1 or 2 more but it will be very lime-y)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Place quarted tomatoes in large colander to drain (30 min). In food processor, combine onion, scallions, jalapenos & cilantro. Process until chunky.
*Place 3/4 of the tomatoes in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min. Add chunky onion mixture and remaining ingredients and combine well.
Add fresh tomatoes to mixture.

*Optional, if you prefer to have it all uncooked, it will be just as yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment